What's DVD Shrink? What Drawbacks Do It Have?
DVD Shrink is said to be a freeware DVD transcoder program for Microsoft Windows that uses a DVD ripper to back up DVD movies according to Wikipedia. This DVD backup software is considered as the best free DVD ripper software for Windows, because it focuses on ease of use, compress DVD (8.5 GB) to a single-layer DVD (4.7 GB) to preserve more space on the backup, bypasses the preventative encryption measures with built-in DVD decryption algorithms, and freely makes the backup of hours of movies to PC computer within a few minutes to prevent the original one from scratching, damaging and losing. Unfortunately, the program seems to disappoint you from time to time when copying your newly purchased DVD movies because it fails to cope with the latest DVDs with copy protection since it is discontinued from the final version 220.127.116.11, not to mention the abovementioned problem of putting DVD on Mac OS X with DVD Shrink. In this case, people will need a DVD shrink alternative for Mac and Windows to accomplish the task. Below are the most common DVD rip erros with DVD Shrink.
• Movie playback starts in between or at the end and/or chapters do not playback in order.
• Invalid File Structure.
• Invalid Navigation Structure.
• Out of memory.
• Programming error - Exception occurred.
• Parameter Incorrect.
• Data Redundancy Check Error (CRC Error).
• The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
• DVD Shrink won't start.
• it will start but close unexpectedly somewhere during use.
• Program crashes.
What Are Main Reasons Cause DVD Shrink Not Working Errors?
1. In 2005, DVD Shrink was stopped developing. It only gets rid of Region code, UOP and partial CSS encryptions. For the new DVD movies released after 2005, you will encounter the above errors due to the newer DVD copy protections such as RCE, Sony ArccOS, X-project DRM, etc it cannot circumvent. So you need an alternative to cope with the error.
2. It is said to be compatible with Windows 7. But some people also report errors when they rip DVD on Windows 7, let along the latest Windows version Windows 10. So an alternative to DVD Shrink working on Windows 8/10 is highly demanded.
3. Internet Explorer 8 beta 2 is responsible for DVDShrink crash problem. You can just put DVD Shrink.exe in Win98/98/ME compatibility mode (Properties > Compatibility). Stop using beta software and get the standard one.
4. It's nothing new that there is no Mac version. If you need to rip copy protected DVD on Mac OS X, you need DVD Shrink replacement to do the job.
Best DVD Shrink Alternative for Mac to Backup and Rip DVD on OS X
Are you in search of a program like DVD Shrink to rip any protected DVD on Mac and PC computers? Take it easy, MacX DVD Ripper Pro is available for you to tackle the DVD Shrink not working or won't open issue. This professional yet easy alternative to DVD Shrink is designed for Mac and PC users to copy protected DVD with original video audio quality in a few minutes. Thus you can store it on your computer hard drive, USB, NAS, media server, cloud storage and mobile devices.
As a DVD enthusiast, owning this all-in-one DVD Shrink for Mac substitute is quite a boon because it is able to decrypt and rip copy-protected DVDs, no matter the new Disney protected DVD or Sony ARccOS protected DVDs, to formats like MP4, MOV, FLV, AVI, etc with this all-in-one DVD Shrink alternative for Mac. Therefore, you can enjoy any DVD movies on iPhone, iPad, iPod, Samsung, HTC, etc wherever you are.
Benefits from the DVDShrink Alternative for Mac
1. When mentioning to the latest DVDs, DVD Shrink cannot circumvent the copy protections as it was stopped developing since 2005, thus receiving many complaints. Such issue is commonly bound to the error messages like movie playback starts in between or at the end, chapters don't play in order, invalid navigation structure, out of memory, CRC error, I/O device error, etc. As the ultimate DVD Shrink similar ripper, MacX DVD Ripper Pro is labeled as the best DVD ripper for Mac that manages to bypass all the complicated DVD copy protections and makes ripping protected DVDs smooth and easy, thanks to its unique DVD analysis engine, title check mechanism to read the right title, and the DVDDisc File System to even read the workout DVD, damaged DVD, etc.
2. People also reported having problems like DVD Shrink won't open/start or not working but close unexpected sometime during use, partly due to the impartibility with the latest OS like Windows 7,8 or 10. Additionally, for a successful DVD ripping, you need to work with Nero to rip DVD. But this DVD Shrink alternative makes good compatibility with Windows (10/8/7).
3. MacX DVD Ripper Pro is especially designed for Mac users, which is a thoroughly great DVD Shrink Mac alternative. If you want to rip DVD movies on Mac OS X, the former is the perfect fit.
4. MacX advantages over DVD Shrink when it comes to DVD copy modes. The former has the knack for not only cloning DVD to iSO image as short as 5 minutes, without quality loss, but also enables to backup main/full title content as MPEG 2 file, copy a full-length DVD to MKV with selected audio, video,subtitle tracks, and even manages to rip DVD to MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, and other popular formats that DVD Shrink won't do.
Tutorial to Backup and Rip DVD on Mac with DVD Shrink alternative
Step 1: Load DVD
Free download and run this replacement to DVD Shrink Mac version, click "DVD Disc" or "DVD Path" button to import the DVD on Mac. Users working with Windows platform can head over to DVD Shrink for Windows version to download it.
Step 2: Choose "DVD Backup"
Choose "DVD Backup" button to make copy of DVD on Mac. In addition, this DVD backup software also serves as DVD ripper for Mac software to rip DVDs to a wide range of video formats like MP4, MOV, FLV, AVI etc.
Step 3: Select the Output Folder
Specify output folder on your computer to save the output files. Click the "Browse" button to choose the path where you want to save the output files in.
Step 4: Press the "RUN" button
Click the "RUN" button to start copying DVD on Mac with the DVD Shrink Mac alternative. You can view the whole backup progress and are able to cancel it at anytime.
Notice: We only advocates copying and ripping DVDs under the concept of Fair Use and does not encourage any illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted content. Please abide by the local DVD copyright law before doing it.
Other DVD Shrink Alternatives to Cope with DVD Ripping Process
1. Handbrake - Handbrake is world's best free DVD ripper software available on Mac, PC and Linux. It can freely rip copy protected DVD to MP4 and MKV under the assistant of VLC libdvdcss. The DVD rip process is pretty easy. Just click the source button, choose the right title, select the format or device profile you need and tap the start button. Only about 30 minutes, you can finish ripping DVDs on your computer. Click the Handbrake tutorial to rip DVD >>
2. RipIt - RipIt is known for its easiness and powerful decrypting feature that is even better than Handbrake and Mac The Ripper. It is the best alternative to DVD Shrink if you need to copy protected DVD on Mac OS. However, this DVD ripper software doesn't have a window version. But if you do want to extract everything from DVD with all information kept, RipIt is the best software working similarly to DVDShrink.
3.AnyDVD - Another similar program like DVD Shrink comes to AnyDVD. It allows you to bypass copy protections and rip DVD onto your computer. However, right now, AnyDVD is down due to the copyright issue.