[Latest] How to Update to iOS 10 (Jailbreak incl.) and Fix iOS 10 Update Problems
iOS 10, the biggest iOS powering the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, is available for download now. The new iOS 10 opens up Siri and Messages, ability to remove default apps, updates Music, Photos and many more (more iOS 10 advantages over iOS 9). While iDevice users are flocking to update to iOS 10 for a new experience, many of them are reporting iOS 10 update problems like an error occurred downloading iOS 10, iOS 9 frozen during update on iPad, iOS 10 won't finish updating, iOS 10 update Error 14...
This article will address all the problems with iOS 10 update with a detailed guide on how to safely upgrade to iOS 10 from iOS 9 (from jailbreak without losing the cydia apps), and solutions to iOS 10 update issues of all kinds.
Part 1: How to Update to iOS 10 (from Jailbreak) Without Losing Apps or Data
This is a detailed guide on how to upgrade iOS 10 from iOS 9.3.5/4/3/2, we will show you from the very start of preparing iPhone iPad for iOS 10 upgrade. Before we start to update iPhone iPad to iOS 10.0.3, you should know that current iOS 10 version comes with various iOS 10 upgrade bugs and glitches (don't worry, we will solve those iOS 10 update problems one by one later), and the official iOS 10 was available now and the iOS 10 compatible iPhone starts with iPhone 5, iPad mini, and iPod Touch 5.
Step 1: Update iPhone iPad to iOS 10 - Backup Data and Apps
Before your iPhone 6/6S and iPad upgrade from iOS 9 to iOS 10, make sure you have backed up all your data on iPhone iPad iPod. You can do this using iCloud or iTunes on a Mac or PC. But you cannot how to backup iPhone 6 selectively. Here is the recommendation - to backup photos, vidoes and music selectively from iPhone 6/6S, iPad Pro/Air, iPod Touch 5/6 to computer, and reversely, with MacX MediaTrans. It is the best iOS content manager that can sync music, photos and videos from iPhone iPad to computer as a backup before you upgrade to iOS 10. No tedious or lengthy iTunes sync, no data lose anymore.
Note that iTunes or iCloud won't back up your unofficial apps or other jailbreak tweaks. But there are programs available from Cydia like OpenBackup, PKGBackup etc to help you upgrade a jailbroken iPhone iPad to iOS 10 without losing the cydia apps. Plus, when talking about jailbreak, users should know that after update to iOS 10, they will lose jailbreak. Currently, there is no indication of a jailbreak tool to be released, so upgrade to iOS 10 or stay with iOS 9.3.5, that's your choice.
Step 2: Update to iOS 10 on iPhone 7/6S/6/5S - How to Upgrade to iOS 10 (from Jailbreak incl.)
After you backup your data on iPhone 7/Plus/6s/plus iPad etc, and make sure that your device have enough room for iOS 10 update, then you can start the update. Also see: iPhone 7 Pros >>
Method 1: Upgrade iOS 10 Over-the-air
Plug in your device to make sure you have enough battery life and connect to Wi-Fi. Tap the Settings app > select General > tap Software Update > click Download and Install button. This is the easiest way but it may take a long time. Plus, this method will not apply to upgrade to iOS 10 from jailbreak.
Method 2: Update iPhone iPad to iOS 10 via iTunes
It can be faster using iTunes on Mac, so update your iTunes to the latest version before the iOS update. Connect iOS device to Mac with sync cable. An alert will pop up asking if you want to update to iOS 10. Click Download and Update and there you go. If no alert pops up, click iPhone device icon in the top-left corner, tap the Update button, then the Download and Update button. To update jailbroken iPhone 7/Plus iPad to iOS 10, go with the same process.
To avoid any unnecessary iOS 10 update issues, you may check if your device makes the cut. Below is the devices that support iOS 10: iPhone: iPhone 7/7 Plus/6S/6S Plus/6/6 Plus/SE/5S/5C/5 iPad: iPad Pro 12.9-inch/9.7-inch/Air 2/Air/4th generation/mini 4/3/2 iPod: iPod touch 6th generation
If you want to see the new features brought by iOS 10 update on iPhone 5S, here is a video for you.
iPhone 5S iOS 10 Review: iPhone 5S iOS 10 Review! iOS 10 update brings many new features to your iPhone 5S
Part 2: Top 20 iOS 10 Update Problems and iPhone iPad iOS 10 Fixes
Though the guide above indicates that it's simple to upgrade to iOS 10 on iPhone 7/Plus/SE/6s/6s plus, iPad Air 2 etc, chances are that problems with iOS 10 update of different kinds may occur. To avoid iOS 10 update issues, we also offer a detailed iOS 10 troubleshooting guide to iOS 10 upgrade problems one by one.
[Updated] T-Mobile Connectivity Issues on iOS 10
T-Mobile warns iPhone customers not to update to iOS 10 so quickly due to the newly iOS 10 update problems with connectivity. The iOS 10 connectivity issues affect iPhone 6, 6 Plus, iPhone SE users, some have poor connectivity and some lose cellular signal altogether. For this problem, T-Mobile has offered a fix:
How to fix iOS 10 udpate problems:
If you have connectivity problem after iOS 10 update, first turn off and on the iPhone. If you are experiencing the problem again, go to the permanent fix: go to iPhone or iPad Settings > General > About, then new carrier settings will automatically download and that will fix the iOS 10 update problems with connectivity.
[Updated] If you still have cellular connectivity problems with iOS 10, simply update to iOS 10.0.3, which includes a minor update to iOS 10 intended to fix cellular connectivity problems with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. The iOS 10.0.3 is actually available exclusively for the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus as older iPhone and iPad on iOS 10.0.2 have no such problems.
iPhone iPad users who update iOS 10 over Wi-Fi report running into iOS 10 update problems and have their iOS devices bricked by the update with an iOS 10bricking update problem error message noting the iDevice are put into recovery mode. While users updating to iOS 10 via iTunes don't confront any iOS 10 currupt install. Users who have their iOS 10 devices bricked by iOS 10 update may do as per Apple's solution to this iOS 10 update error.
Bricking iOS 10 Update troubleshooting:
1. Backup data on iOS 10.
2. Do an iTunes restore if the update fails. Note: this will erase all data.
Note: Apple has made an announcement on the iOS 10 OTA update issue, and says it has now been fixed.
2. Reporting Error 14 After Update to iOS 10 Beta
The iOS 10 upgrade problem users have first is the infamous Error 14, namely a message saying that iPhone ipad could not be restored. An unkown error occurred (14). This is a bug of iOS 10 that no fix is announced currently, but there are some tricks you may try to solve this iOS 10 update problem:
iOS 10 troubleshooting:
1. Backup and then try clean restore of iOS 9.3.2/3/4 .
2. Check your USB device or use another device
3. Make sure you have the latest version of Xcode 8 installed on your Mac.
3. iPhone iPad stuck on Verifying Update
It's one of the common iOS 10 upgrade problems when iOS users want to update to iOS 10 on iPhone 7/Plus/6s/6s plus, iPad Air 3/mini 4 etc, only to get stuck for hours on a screen with a "Verifying Update" message.
iOS 10 troubleshooting:
1. Lock and unlock your iPhone iPad: keep pressing the power button for several times (5+).
2. Do a hard reset or hard reboot to your iPhone: Hold down the "Home" button and "Sleep/Wake" button at the same time. > Release the buttons after the screen turns off and apple logo appears.
3. Switch to iTunes if you are updating to iOS 10 directly. Manually upgrade to iOS 10 with the newest iTunes version (12.3) from your computer may fix the frozen iOS 10 update problem on iPhone iPad.
4. Software Update Failed an error occurred downloading iOS 10
When numerous iPhone iPad iPod try to update from iOS 9 to iOS 10 after Apple just released, users may come across an error message stating "Software Update Failed. An error occurred downloading iOS 10". This iOS 10 update error occurs mainly because millions of users are trying to update to iOS 10 simultaneously.
iOS 10 update fix to Software Update Failed:
1. Wait for another one or two days to update iPhone 7/Plus/iPad to iOS 10 to avoid the overloaded bandwidth.
2. Reboot both your WiFi router and iOS device.
3. Reset network settings on your device: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
4. Skip over-the-air updates and try iTunes iOS 10 upgrade method on iPhone iPad.
5. iPhone iPad stuck on Slide to Upgrade screen
Also among the common iOS 10 update issues, some users painfully find that iOS 10 is frozen during update iPhone iPad with a "Slide to Upgrade" screen. It's quite annoying to get Slide to Upgrade problems with iOS 10 update with frozen iPhone iPad being unresponsive for hours. We can fix those iOS 10 update problems with Apple's advice for iOS 9 upgrade:
iPhone iPad iOS 10 troubleshooting:
* Connect iPhone iPad to a computer and open up iTunes. Press Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for about 10 seconds until your device is detected.
* Now Restore your device from the backup you made before iOS 10 upgrade. Otherwise, click the Back Up Now button to make a backup of your device in iTunes and restore from that backup.
* This should fix the iOS 10 update error and you can go ahead to upgrade to iOS 10.
6. "Insufficient Space For Download" in iOS 10 Software Update
For iPhone with small storage size, users may encounter not enough space problem when update to iOS 10 from iOS 9. The iOS 10 requires about 1.5 GB of free space on iPhone iPad for update, so make sure you have clear up for enough space.
iOS 10 upgrade problems fix:
1. First, delete apps you don't use or use Apple's help in deleting and restoring apps/games.
Check more tips to free up iPhone space for iOS 10 updating.
2. Compress reduce video files etc that are heavy in size to smaller size to leave more space to upgrade iOS 10 on iPhone 7/Plus/6s/iPad etc.
The iOS 10 software update seems smooth but the iPhone 7/Plus/6s, iPad Air get stuck in the recovery mode/iTunes log. Those iOS 10 update issues can be caused by different reasons like factory resetting, wrong operation to upgrade to iOS 10 from jailbreak or unknown reasons.
Possible iOS 10 troubleshooting on iPhone iPad:
1. Hold the Home and Power buttons to see if your device can exit the recovery mode.
2. Check if there is any issue with the lightning port or another part to see if any hardware issues are stopping you updating to iOS 10.
8. Battery problems with iOS 10 update
The strongest iOS 10 also comes with improvement in battery life. But some users are suffering from abnormal bad battery life issues on iOS 10 iPhone iPad. If you have battery drains fast after iOS 10 update problems on iPhone, iPad iPod, there are some fixes you may try.
iOS 10 update error with battery life fix:
1. Do a hard reboot to your devices with Home and Power buttons.
2. Go Settings > Usage > Battery Usage to check if there is any app using battery abnormally.
3. Toggle iCloud Keychain on and off: click Settings > navigate to iCloud> tap on Keychain option. Turn it off. Reboot.
4. Reset all the settings back to factory defaults: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
5. Try the Low Power Mode to extend the battery life. Or check how to improve battery life to see if any tips may help.
9. iPhone iPad is slow after update to iOS 10
Other users irritably find that the updated iOS 10 lags iPhone iPad instead of making them faster. How frustrating it is! If you feel that your iPhone iPad is slow after upgrade to iOS 10, try the tips below.
iOS 10 update fix:
1. Force Restart. Force restart will always be your first choice.
2. Go Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings > Enter Your Passcode to reset settings.
3. Reset your iPhone iPad to get a restore again. After backup, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings and Content > Enter a Passcode.
4. Disable motion effects and background app refresh: go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion or Background App Refresh.
5. Check fix iPhone slow performance problems with iOS 10 update to get more suggestions. Or you can downgrade iOS 10 to iOS 9.
10. iOS 10 update issues with cellular data
Among other common iOS 10 update problems, some users are having iOS 10 problems with cellular data like can't turn cellular data on for some apps, iOS 10 features are eating data fast, cellular not connecting problem etc. To fix those iOS 10 upgrade problems, we have some possible iOS 10 troubleshooting solutions.
iPhone iPad update fix iOS 10:
1. Try turning Airplane mode on for 30 seconds and off again in the Control Center.
2. Reset the network settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
3. Toggle Cellular Data off and on: Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data > Toggle Off. After you toggle it off, toggle it back on.
4. Reset all the settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.
5. If the problem is with LTE, try shutting LTE off for a few minutes: Settings > Cellular > Enable LTE > Off. Flip it back on when ready.
11. Touch ID not working problem in iOS 10
Some users who have updated to iOS 10 report that they have problems with Touch ID stops working on iOS 10.0.2. If your Touch ID stops working with iOS 10, don't be panic. As iOS 10 issues fingerprints reading and Touch ID, here are already some efficient fixes.
Fix iOS 10 problems with Touch ID:
1. Go to Settings > Touch ID & Passcode, enter your passcode and then switch off the buttons next to Apple Pay and iTunes & App Store. Reboot your iPhone, then go back into Settings and switch iTunes & App Store back on again.
2. If the iOS 10 Touch ID issues still exist, try to remove your fingerprint: go to Settings –> Touch ID & Passcode. Tap on your fingerprint and then select Delete. Reboot your device. Then go back to Settings and add your fingerprint again.
12. iOS 10 Wi-Fi Problems
Wi-Fi problems are the most common and annoying issues after an iOS update. Among those iOS 10 issues reported, there are still many problems with Wi-Fi after iOS 10 upgrade, including Wi-Fi network connection failed, incorrect password prompt, Wi-Fi settings grayed out, dropping connection intermittently or extremely slow Wi-Fi , etc. Here are some fixes to Wi-Fi problems on iOS 10.
iOS 10 Wi-Fi problems & fixes:
1. Check your router/modem and reboot if necessary.
2. Hard reboot your device.
3. Forget & rejoin WiFi network.
4. Reset network settings.
5. Turn off Wi-Fi Assist and turn back on.
6. Disable Wi-Fi networking services.
13. iOS 10 Bluetooth problems
Similar to cellular network and Wi-Fi problems, there are also users facing Bluetooth connectivity problems on iOS 10.0.2. Especially for those who use the wireless headphones of iPhone 7, it's extremely annoying to run into problems with Bluetooth. But if you can't connect to Bluetooth on iOS 10.0.2 reliably, you can try the fixes below.
Fix iOS 10 Bluetooth issues:
1. Turn off Bluetooth and reboot your device.
2. Try to forget the device you paired with from Settings, and then reconnect.
3. Reset network settings.
Other General iOS 10 (Beta) Problems and Bugs
11. iPhone iPad on iOS 10 restarts itself when taking screenshots of the new Lock Screen.
12. iMessages on iOS 10 run into error when sending more than 3 emoji, which will result in sending normal text size without enlarged bubble as Apple has demoed.
13. Message notification still appears after replying to a iMessage from the Lock screen.
14. Facebook crashes when uploading photos or videos, due to the app not being optimised for iOS 10 though. This is one of the most notorious iOS 10 update problems among FB users. See how to fix Facebook upload video error.
15. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro locks its orientation when changing it and it can be fixed only by restarting iPad.
16. The audio cuts off when headphones plugged in iPad Pro.
17. Multitasking with a lot of apps open can result in app crashing on iOS 10 based iPhone iPad.
18. The "Update All" button won't work in the iOS App store. Instead, you have to install and update apps one by one manually. This can be annoying problem after the iOS 10 update.
19. Customers also report the iOS 10 problems with Reply window freezes and cannot be exited by pressing Home button when replying to a SMS from the Lock screen with Force Touch.
20. Despite of high awareness of data backup before iOS 10 update, there are still a lot of people complaining data loss after the migration from iOS 9 to iOS 10. Users are suggested to recover data for iOS 10 with iTunes or other iOS 10 data recovery tool.
21. System apps such as Safari run slowly and choppy when enabling Reduced Motion setting on iOS 10 Beta.
22. Like its previous generations, iDevices on iOS system won't come with disc drive, which means you cannot play DVD on iOS devices but rely on DVD ripper for Mac software to backup and rip these discs to MP4 MOV or other idevice playable formats.
Actually, each iOS update involves in many different errors and problems. iOS 10 is no exception. The above 8 iOS 10 update problems are just the most prominent issues with iOS 10. We just advocate you to make a good preparation before iOS 10 update, then download iOS 10 and isntall it on your iPhone iPad. Any we will stay updated with iOS 10 problems. So just stay tuned. But if you have any problems related with iOS 10 update, you can still comment below.
Backup iPhone iPad on iOS 9 before Upgrading to iOS 10
MacX MediaTrans can backup and transfer videos, music and photos from iPhone iPad on iOS 9 to Mac before iOS 10 update.
• Backup Photos: Transfer photos from iPhone iPad to Mac as a backup. 8 secons only for 100 4K photos.
• Manage Music/video: Import/export music and video between iPhone iPad iPod and computer. create/delete/edit playlists with music info under control.
Swiftly convert videos like MP4, MOV, MKV, MTS, AVCHD, AVI, WMV, etc. Compress 4K, Download YouTube online videos, record screen, make slideshow and edit videos.
Cult of Mac review
MacX Video Converter Pro is an all-in-one iPhone video converting program with top quality and fast speed. This feature-rich video converter can help you easily convert HD or SD videos to iPhone iPad Android mobile devices.