MakeMKV Mac version is one of the most popular Blu-ray and DVD rippers that aim to copy Blu-rays /DVDs (including some encrypted DVDs) to MKV with high video image quality on Mac OS X. The HD output promised is appealing, and free of use, though limited to 60 days, is also a welcome feature.
MakeMKV Alternative for Unlimited DVD Copying/Ripping
MacX DVD Ripper Pro - rip any DVDs (including protected DVDs/damaged DVDs) to MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV etc. on Mac( macOS Sierra/El Capitan also supported) within a few mins without losing quality, freeing you from MakeMKV format limits, and errors like "failed to open DVDs, audio video out of sync".
Table of Contents
MakeMKV for Mac Free Download and MakeMKV Free Keys
MakeMKV for Mac is available for download now. The latest version if MakeMKV v1.16.3. MakeMKV 1.16.3 for Mac OS X requires x64 Mac OS X 10.7 or later. MakeMKV is not signed by Apple, you might need to adjust gatekeeper options in order to install the MakeMKV on MacBook Air/MacBook Pro or iMac.
The official MakeMKV for Mac download site: https://www.makemkv.com/download/
MakeMKV free beta keys: T-bzbIz9GKcA8KINjhv1...vhQVXPnDdDlm62663Bo0 (valid until 2021-06-01)
How to Use MakeMKV for Mac to Rip DVD to MKV Format
MakeMKV, as its name suggests, can make DVDs digitalized in MKV format - the only output choice. Users can get it download for Mac, or for Windows, Linux. It supports to copy both DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs. The Blu-ray DVDs ripping process may take hours, so it's important to arrange your time properly. Below is a guide on how to rip DVD to MKV on Mac using MakeMKV.
Go to http://www.makemkv.com/download/, and download it. V1.10.2 is the latestone. The Blu-ray DVD ripper for Mac requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later. The current version updated on September 11 is reported by users that it crashed on macOS Sierra. If you are running the latest Mac OS, check out the best DVD ripper for macOS to free copy DVD on computer.
- Open up it, insert a DVD to drive, and load it.
- Select titles to rip on the left pane. On the sub menu, you can choose subtitles, audio you want for the output MKV file.
- Choose output folder to save the output DVD to MKV conversion file.
- Click "Make MKV" icon on the right side to start the ripping process.
- make sure you have enough free space to store the output DVD MKV files. A bu-ray movie may take at least 30 GB.
MakeMKV for Mac Has Some Limits
The free DVD ripper gives high quality video image output, but it indeed has some disadvantages compared with some other tools (see other MakeMKV alternatives). Read these cons carefully and decide whether you need to other tools or not.
- MakeMKV can not run on macOS Sierra currently.
- It may fail to open HD-DVD or rip DVD without audio and subtitles.
- MakeMKV for Mac can only rip DVD to MKV. For users who want to rip DVD to MP4, MOV, ISO image etc. resort to other DVD ripper tools.
- It lacks preset profiles for iPhone, Galaxy etc. Android iOS mobile devices, and the output MKV file can be played only on some certain MKV players.
- It is claimed on official site that "program is time limited - it will stop functioning after 60 days. You can always download the latest version from makemkv.com that will reset the expiration date." Users can download other tools like Handbrake for Mac to for free if you don't want to pay a penny and your DVDs discs are non-protected.
Common MakeMKV for Mac Ripping DVD Errors & Fix
1. MakeMKV fails to open a disc
First, check out whether your DVD is damaged. If not, pity that it is probably the copy protection on the DVD that leads to MakeMKV on Mac not opening the disc.
2. Video and audio are out of sync
"Having sync issues after processing a blu-ray disc. Have done around 25 blu-rays and all of them the audio or video is out of sync during playback. Any suggestions?
Try to play the MKV file with another MKV player. If the problem still exists, use VLC media player backward/forward function to make the video audio synchronized.
3. MakeMKV crashes on Mac
Restart MakeMKV on Mac. If this won't help, re download the Blu-ray DVD ripper for Mac latest version. Note that MakeMKV can't support macOS Sierra.
Download MakeMKV for Mac Alternative to Rip DVD without Limits & Errors
MacX DVD Ripper Pro comes as the first choice to copy DVD without limits and DVDs/Blu-rays ripping errors MakeMKV Mac delivers. It can rip DVDs to MKV, HD MTS M2TS, MP4, MOV, WMV, AVI, FLV and many more with a set of preset profiles for Andrid iOS devices, including Galaxy, iPhone, Apple TV etc. The DVD ripper software offers nearly original video image quality. In addition, the alternative can copy DVDs, including new movies on DVD in 36x real time converting speed. It won't stutter or crash even when it comes to ripping protected DVDs embedded with DVD encryption tech, be it Disney DRM, Region Code 1-6, Sony ArccOS, DVD CSS, to name a few.
How to Copy DVD on Mac (incl. Big Sur) with MakeMKV for Mac Alternative
The program has nice interface. It's quite simple to know how to rip DVD. Free download it on Mac, and open up the program.
Step 1: Load DVD disc. Insert DVD disc and click "DVD Disc" icon on the main interface, the MakeMKV for Mac substitute will detect the DVD automatically and load it quickly.
Step 2: Select an output profile on the Output Profile windows and proceed to the next step. You can free copy DVD to MP4 Mac for MP4 is widely accepted by media player.
Step 3: Click "RUN" button to start to rip DVD on Mac OS X. Then you can transfer the ripped DVD movies to iPhone iPad using MacX MediaTrans speedily for viewing on mobile.
Notice: Before using it to rip commercial protected DVDs, you are suggested to copy DVDs under the concept of Fair Use. And any illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted content are forbidden. Please abide by the local DVD copyright law before doing it.