RipIt surely leaves you deep impression for its simplicity. But it indeed is not your best option to digitize DVDs right now. Google "Ripit" and there is no official ripit website result. The top results come from Mac software download sites where you can find, free download and buy Ripit with its latest version 1.6.9 (updated on June, 2016). And users reflect that its developer The Little App Factory seems to shut down, serial number unavailable.
RipIt Incompatible with your macOS? Try Best Alternative!
MacX DVD Ripper Pro - accept all types of DVD discs (old/newest, 99-title, bad sector, workout/AV DVD...), copy DVD to hard drive/USB/Plex/Ruku, and rip DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, MOV, MP3 and more output formats than RIpIt does.
Unlike Ripit chewing up CPU usage, MacX DVD Ripper Pro utilizes its GPU (Intel/Nvidia/AMD) hardware acceleration tech to assign the compute-intensive DVD ripping task from CPU to GPU to elevate ripping speed up to 5X faster, no burden to CPU.
Well compatible with macOS 12 Monterey or older versions.
How to Rip DVD on Mac with Best RipIt Alternative
Step 1: Load DVD You Want to Rip by Clicking "DVD Disc" or "DVD Path" button
Free download and run this DVD ripper for Mac, click "DVD Disc" or "DVD Path" button to import the DVD on your Mac Lion.
Step 2: Choose Output Video Format
Select the output format as you want. With this RipIt Mac alternative, you can not only backup DVD on your Mac computer with original video quality and original 5.1 channels Dolby AC3/DTS audio, but also rip DVD to MP4, MOV, FLV, etc for playback on iPhone, iPad, iPod device.
Step 3: Select the Output Folder
Specify output folder on your computer to save the output files. Click the "Browse" button to choos*e the path where you want to save the output files in.
Step 4: Press the "RUN" button
Click the "RUN" button to start ripping DVD with the RipIt Mac alternative. You can view the backup progress and are able to cancel it at anytime.
Note: This alternative to RipIt has been updated to easily rip DVD on Mac, including the newest version macOS Monterey.
Notice: We only advocates copying and ripping DVDs under the concept of Fair Use and does not encourage any illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted content. Please abide by the local DVD copyright law before doing it.
If you still insist on ripit for your older macOS operating system, you can continue using it. Before you go, you'd better get a comprehensive knowledge about it, its pros and cons, matters to attention, etc. After that, you can follow the below tutorial to rip DVDs using Ripit on macOS.
RipIt: Do you know its Disadvantages?
Needless to say, the performance of RipIt is nothing short of stunning. However, there are still some drawbacks that you will encounter when using the DVD ripper for Mac.
- RipIt plays a role of ripping DVD to iTunes MP4, Apple TV, iPhone only. For other format like AVI, MKV, WMV, MOV, Samsung, Google Chromecast, etc, you have to turn to RipIt alternative to deal with the issue.
- RipIt only make a backup of DVD with everything preserved on Mac. For people who need to copy full title of DVD yet output file size smaller, clone DVD to ISO image for burning, or customize your DVD movie, RipIt will disappoint you.
- The DVD ripping time with RipIt for Mac is a little longer. Test from Macworld indicates it takes around 30 minutes to copy a DVD on Mac while compression takes longer. For some alternatives like MacX DVD Ripper Pro, only 5 minutes will finish the DVD copying on Mac while less than 30 minutes to finish the DVD decoding/encoding on OS X.
- RipIt consumes a lot of resources even with 4GB RAM installed, thus you will witness a big Mac slowdown and cannot do other tasks on computer.
- This program does not work if you are now using Mac OS X 10.11 or later.
Tutorial - How to Use RipIt to Rip DVDs on macOS
RipIt can extract all the video files from the DVD and save it to Mac's hard drive with all information included, e.g. subtitles, audio tracks, menu files, etc, thus you can save both your Mac's battery life and prevent your DVDs against scratch. It is favorable for its intuitiveness.
Even the beginners can easily make a backup of DVDs on Mac. RipIt is also received high accolades among editors since it can deal with DVD copy protections, which Handbrake and Mac The Ripper cannot do. Below you can learn how to rip DVD on Mac with RipIt.
Step 1: Free download and run RipIt on Mac. Make sure the DVD is clean without any scratch to ensure a proper DVD rips on Mac.
Step 2: Click Rip to create a full DVD backup on your Mac's hard drive. Or you can hit Compress to rip DVD to iTunes format MP4 with smaller size, so that you can play it on iPhone iPad Apple TV.
Step 3: Wait till the DVD rips finished. It takes about 30 minutes to rip a disc. For the compress part, the DVD ripping time is longer.