QuickTime, the default media player on Apple devices, is capable of handling various formats of digital video, pictures, sound, panoramic images, and interactivity. However, QuickTime Player does not support DVD files. When you try to open a DVD with QuickTime player, you may be told that "this isn't what you should be doing to play this movie" or something along those lines. So is it possible to play DVDs in QuickTime player?
To play DVDs on Mac using QuickTime, you need to convert DVDs to QuickTime supported formats. In this post, we share the best free DVD to MOV converter with a step-by-step guide on how to rip DVDs to QuickTime on Mac.
Best Free DVD to QuickTime Ripper for Mac [No Libdvdcss Needed]
Free download the best free DVD ripper MacX DVD Ripper Free [FREE & safe]. It can easily convert any DVD to QuickTime:
1. Rip any protected DVDs without any extra decryption library. With a built-in DVD decrypter and title-check mechanism, it can remove region codes, CSS, RCE, APS, UOPs, Sony ARccOS, Disney-X Project, etc. Easily rip 99-title DVDs, oversized 75GB DVDs, workout DVDs, Lionsgate DVDs, damaged/unplayable DVDs, bad sector DVDs, and more. 1 second to scan and analyze the right DVD title!
2. Rip DVDs to QuickTime formats. It will convert DVDs to QuickTime MOV, MP4, M4V, AVI, HEVC, as well as iMovie, Final Cut Pro, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Android, TVs, webs, and 350+ profiles.
3. High Quality. It can convert DVD to MOV QuickTime without losing quality thanks to its advanced High Quality Engine.
4. 5X faster speed. With support for the GPU acceleration technologies from Intel, Nvidia, and AMD, it's able to rip a DVD to H.264 for QuickTime in 5 minutes.
How to Free Rip DVDs to QuickTime MOV on MacBook/iMac
Step 1. Load the DVD
Download the free DVD to QuickTime converter for Mac and install it. Insert the DVD into the Mac's disc drive or an external DVD drive. Open the DVD to MOV converter and click "DVD Disc" on the top menu bar. Select the DVD drive to load the DVD information. You can click "Folder" or "ISO" to import DVD content from DVD folder/ISO image on your Mac computer.
Some DVD to QuickTime freeware brags about good compatibility with the protected DVDs but isn't tenable. As a result, they give you an incomplete DVD rip or the rips are out of sync with audio. Fortunately, MacX DVD Ripper Free can instantly detect the correct title without any other application assistance or analysis error.
Step 2. Choose an output format for QuickTime
After the program loads the correct title of the DVD, it will bring up an output format window. Select an output format for QuickTime: scroll down the list on the left and find Mac General Video > choose "MP4 MPEG-4" or "MOV MPEG-4" from the list on the right.
Step 3. Select Audio/Subtitle Tracks
Back on the home screen, you can click on the selected DVD title to select a subtitle or audio track you would like to play on QuickTime. For example, you can change the default "Disabled Subtitle" to Track1 English, Track2 French or forced subtitle... If your desired subtitle track is not included in the DVD disc, go to Google to download the subtitle track and click the Edit button on the selected title to add external .srt subtitles and apply other editing.
Step 4. Start Ripping DVD to QuickTime MOV format
Click the "Browse" button and choose the location to save the ripped DVD MOV file on your Mac. Then click "RUN" and this free DVD converter software's conversion engine will go into action; the conversion will be finished within minutes. Then you can play the DVD movie in QuickTime Player.
Note: If any error occurs during the rip, enable "Backup Mode" on the main interface. It's able to convert any DVD with strict protections to QuickTime with no problems.
MacXDVD software calls for copying or ripping DVD under the concept of Fair Use and does not encourage any illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted content. Please abide by the local DVD copyright law before doing it.
Top Free DVD to MOV Converter with Libdvdcss Needed
On top of MacX, there is another option available for you to free decrypt and rip DVDs to QuickTime MOV on macOS like VLC media player. Considering most of your DVD discs are Hollywood commercial discs and copy protected by encryption schemes, you need to install extra decryption library for your VLC to remove encryption from DVDs before you rip DVDs to QuickTime mov on Mac.
Because VLC has already become a household name, there is needless to fiddle about with its features again. Instead, we just demystify how to install libdvdcss on Mac for your VLC and then how to use VLC to decrypt and convert DVD to MOV QuickTime on Mac free.
VLC media player is incredibly easy to use, but even seasoned users can benefit from reading a few user guides. Let's take a closer look at its user tutorial in detail:
How to free decrypt and rip DVDs to QuickTime MOV on Mac with VLC?
- Download the appropriate libdvdcss package for your version of macOS from a trusted source.
- Open the downloaded package and follow the instructions to install the library.
- Open VLC on your Mac. Insert the protected DVD you want to convert into your Mac's DVD drive.
- Click on the "Media" menu and select "Convert/Save".
- In the "Open Media" window, click on the "Disc" tab and select the DVD drive as the source.
- Click on the "Convert/Save" button. In the "Convert" window, select "QuickTime" as the profile.
- Choose the destination folder for the converted file.
- Click on the "Start" button to begin the conversion process.
If your VLC failed to recognize the right title from Disney 99-title DVD disc, you can use VLC to play DVD content first and find the right title via VLC. Then, load DVD and manually choose the right title to fix this trouble. Afterwards, your VLC should be able to convert protected DVDs to QuickTime MOV on your Mac without major error.
However, please keep in mind that the legality of ripping copy-protected DVDs varies depending on your country's laws, so be sure to research and comply with any applicable regulations.
FAQs about Mac DVD to MOV Ripping
1. Can Handbrake rip DVDs to MOV QuickTime on Mac?
NO, handbrake can't rip DVDs to mov quicktime format on Mac. That's because the current Handbrake doesn't sport with MOV container format profile. It only supports MP4, MKV and WebM container formats. If you consult ChatGPT about this question, it might show you the positive answer alongside with a guide. Don't buy it. It has bugs, as well.
2. How can I convert mov to DVD on mac?
The Mac built-in Finder can help you easily burn MOV to DVD on Mac. Here's how:
- Insert a blank DVD into your Mac's drive.
- Find the QuickTime MOV video you want to burn to DVD and drag it to the finder window. Afterwards, just press the "burn" button located on the upper right-hand corner to burn the MOV video to DVD.
- Enter a name for your blank DVD, and choose a burning speed on the pop-up window. You're suggested to choose a low to medium speed, which ensures good quality. The QuickTime MOV video you burn in this way will turn into a data DVD, you can use it to store your files.