Best VirtualDub for Mac to Easily Edit/Compress Video
Free download the best VirtualDub alternative for macOS (macOS Big Sur incl.) to easily edit/compress video on Mac without format limits, requiring no third party help nor video segments in the same formats, frame rate etc.
How to Download and Install VirtualDub on Mac with Wine
Wine is open source software that helps run Windows applications on other OS like Mac and Linux. PlayOnMac, Wineskin, WineBottle and CrossOver are wrappers of Wine. You can free download VirtualDub for Mac and install it via the listed software, among which PlayOnMac is free and easy to use. We'll walk you through the details on how to make VirtualDub run on Mac and let it work as a video converter for Mac via PlayOnMac.
- Download PlayOnMac (the latest version is 4.2.10) and install it on your computer. Then free download VirtualDub for Mac as usual.
- Run PlayOnMac, select Install > Install an application not included in the list > Install the application in a new virtual drive > Install some library > POL_Install_vcrun6 > Explorer and choose VirtualDub Mac installer you downloaded and install VirtualDub on Mac.
- Head to Finder, drag VirtualDub for Mac into folder in /User/your_username/PlayOnMac's virtual drives/your_drive_name/drive_c/Program Files.
- In PlayOnMac, click "Configure" and select the virtual drive you created.
- Choose "Create a new link for this virtual drive" under "General" section and select "VirtualDub.exe" and go to the next step to install VirtualDub for Mac.
- Enter a name and click Next. Now, you'll see the app.
Well-designed users interface, free, easy to use.
Require no Windows license.
Not every application including VirtualDub can run ideally on macOS.
The app crashes on Mac sometimes, and it doesn't work at all for some.
Common Problems with VirtualDub for Mac
- Users have no access to free download VirtualDub for Mac and need compatibility layer to run on Mac.
- VirtualDub for Mac only supports AVI and requires third party plugin to edit/convert MP4 video or other video formats.
- VirtualDub Mac outputs messed video files, like video and audio out of sync, unplayable AVI files, dropped video frame rate, choppy videos etc.
- When re-order/append new segments or add effects between segments, it requires these segments have the same formats, channels, frame rate etc.
- Clump user interface, hard to find relevant video options.
Best VirtualDub for Mac Alternative Better than VirtualDub
If VirtualDub cannot run on Mac following the above guide or you think it's too complicated or you just want to quit VirtualDub on Mac, there is a solid VirtualDub Mac alternative, MacX Video Converter Pro, which makes video editing and processing much easier and reliable. It even can do what VirtualDub can't do without the need to fumble with third-party software in order to install VirualDub on Mac. Look at some fantastic features from the alternative to VirtualDub for Mac below.
1. Import and export nearly any video audio files
With built in 370+ audio and video codecs, the VirtualDub for Mac alternative natively supports to convert among tons of 4K UHD/HD/SD video formats, like MKV to MP4, AVI to MP4, MP4 to MP3, AVI to MOV, WMV to MOV etc, while VirtualDub for Mac only support AVI video files and requires plugins to open other video formats.
2. A wide range of video editing options
The VirtualDub for Mac offers tons of video editing features, allowing users to remove video black bars, trim, merge separate video files, split video files, add effects to video like watermark, subtitles, extract audio music from video, adjust video parameters such as video audio bit rate, frame rate, to name just a few. Besides, theses videos can be in different dimensions.
3. Compress large video file size to smaller one without losing quality
With the help of optimized built-in encoders and decoders, the VirtualDub Mac replacement can easily compress large UHD/HD/SD video file size to much smaller file size without losing quality.
4. Easy, fast, high quality, needless of any plugins
It's very easy to use. And with cutting-edge HT tech, Intel QSV acceleration tech and HQ engine, the program delivers unmatched speed and output quality.
5. Fully support the latest macOS Big Sur or earlier