What is M4V?
Developed by Apple Inc., M4V file format is a video container format. Big advantage of M4V is that it keeps a good balance between file size and video quality as MP4 video format does. It is worth mentioning that M4V is always used by Apple to encode music videos, TV shows, movies etc. Originally, M4V, under protection, was only played on a computer via iTunes, but it is accepted by more media players now, thanks to the growing popularity of Apple portable devices. Detailed information about what M4V format is doesn't end here, keep reading.
What Devices Support M4V File Format
As being developed by Apple to protect copyright, M4V is only supported by a certain type of Apple products, say, iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV. M4V file can not be played on Android mobile devices. That is to say, M4V file will be involved in video compatibility issues easily for tons of devices. In this case, M4V DRM removal yet converter is badly needed to remove iTunes DRM from M4V video and convert M4V to unprotected MP4.
M4V Converter to Convert M4V to Any Other File Format
What M4V is doesn't make much sense when it comes to solution to M4V format compatibility. MacX Video Converter Pro, a professional and easy-to-use M4V converter is able to solve M4V compatibility issues perfectly.
It allows you to:
- convert M4V to MP4 and any other over 180 video format, like AVI, FLV, MOV, WMV, to name just a few, with 83× faster speed and original quality remained.
- extract audio from M4V video file. The mighty M4V converter is capable of grabbing audio from iTunes M4V music video with output audio file MP3, AAC, AC3, iPhone Ringtone, and many more.
- play M4V video directly without the need of M4V to other video format conversion. The stunning M4V conversion software also works as an awesome M4V player, enabling you to play M4V music video , movies with excellent video and audio experience.
M4V vs MP4 - What's the Main Difference
Is the difference between m4v and mp4 just a matter of file extensions? Is m4v just mp4 renamed as m4v? My understanding is that generally, the existence of the m4v extension is simply to force iTunes to open the file by default.
Put it simply, M4V is very close to MP4. There’s no difference in file size and video quality. Both M4V and MP4V are based on MPEG-4(Moving Picture Expert Group-4). But the difference between MP4 and M4V is far more than a matter of file extensions.
From the first part "what is M4V", we know that M4V format, originally designed for iTunes to push users to buy songs videos, is supported mainly by Apple products, but MP4 format developed to achieve faster loading and better quality is widely accepted by most devices and players. Also, M4V files may be protected by using Apple’s FairPlay DRM copyright protection.
M4V Player to Play M4V Video File
As I mentioned before, M4V was specifically designed for iTunes and can only played through iTunes. But M4V video format is supported by more media players now, not merely iTunes. Here's a list of best M4V players for you to check out.
- Apple QuickTime Player and iTunes
- VLC Media Player
- webOS Video Player
- MacX Video Converter Pro(also converts M4V video file)