How do you copy protected DVD to DVD on Mac? Actually, it's not as easy as you think. The DVD copy protection comes to the first stumbling block, which stops you make a copy of encrypted DVD. Most DVD copy software alleging to built in DVD decryption feature is no longer tenable, especially when it faces the newly released DVDs with deceptive title numbers. For example, Handbrake cannot rip DVD with 99 titles, fail to rip the whole movie, output files either larger than 40GB, and mixed up. But you don't have to be too upset. Here the high-end MacX DVD Ripper Pro works like a charm to rip copy protected DVD to DVD on macOS.
Table of Contents
Get MacX DVD Ripper Pro - Rip Protected DVD to DVD without Any Copy Limit
MacX DVD Ripper Pro can rip protected DVD to DVD on Mac (Big Sur incl.) without any third-party aids and copy limitations. 1:1 quality reserved, 5x faster speed than other protected DVD ripping programs.
Before you download, look at the main features of this protected DVD to DVD copy program for Mac.
1. Constantly updated and tested to unblock any DVD protections, no matter the DVD is encrypted with CSS, Region Code, the enhanced Sony ARccOS, Disney DRM project or some new protections for latest released DVD.
2. 4 DVD copy modes are available, allowing you to copy protected DVD to DVD on iMac/MacBook Air/Macbook Pro of different formats and settings, namely clone full title DVD on Mac with all audio video subtitles included; backup main title movies only for smaller size; copy DVD to Video_TS folder or clone DVD to ISO image with 1:1 image quality for later DVD burning; and convert DVD full title to MKV with high output quality.
3. No.1 fast speed. 5 minutes only needed to copy a protected DVD to DVD on Mac in copy mode, thanks to the unique level-3 Hardware acceleration, multi-Core CPU processing tech, hyper threading tech.
4. 1:1 output quality reserved since MacX DVD Ripper Pro is built in compression engine, which adopts intraframe and interframe prediction, intraframe and interframe compression, along with entropy coding to reconstruct original data without any quality loss.
How to Copy Protected DVD to DVD on Mac with MacX DVD Ripper Pro
First, Unlock Protection from DVDs and Rip Protected DVDs
Tips: The best DVD copy program for Mac, fully compatible with the latest macOS Big Sur, helps 1:1 copy protected DVD to ISO image which is equivalent to a compresssed format of Video_TS and Audio_TS. That's to say, you can extract Video_TS from ISO simply through decompression and finish copying protected disc to Video_TS easily. Follow the steps below and learn how to copy a DVD on a Mac.
Step 1: Free download the software on macOS (Big Sur incl.), launch it, and hit the "DVD Disc" button to load the encrypted DVD to be backed up.
Step 2: After the Mac DVD copier analyzes the DVD information, a preset profiles window appears. Go to DVD Backup -> Main Title Content Copy/Clone DVD to ISO Image as it supports making 1:1 DVD copy on macOS, after which you can burn to DVD.
Step 3: Tap "Browse" button to save the DVD you copied on Mac computer.
Step 4: Hit "RUN" button to begin protected DVD backup on Mac.
Then, Copy the DVD Video TS/ISO Image to Another DVD on Mac
Note: Before you copy protected DVD to another blank DVD disc on Mac, make sure the blank disc has enough space to save the ISO or video TS file. You should know that you can clone DVD9 to DVD9, and DVD5 to DVD5 unless you use special tool to split the larger DVD9 to DVD5. Therefore, if the ISO or video TS file is larger than 4.7GB, use a dual layer DVD. Now you can copy protected DVDs to DVD–5, DVD–9, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL and DVD-RAM.
DVD-5: a single layer DVD with 4.7GB of data (around 120-133 minutes of video depending on compression).
DVD-9: a dual layer single sided DVD with up to 8.5GB of data (around 240 minutes of video depending on compression).
Then how to burn the output video TS folder to DVD on Mac? As we are on a Mac, there are multiple ways to make a DVD copy of video TS or ISO files.
Option 1: Copy DVD to DVD on Mac via Finder
The first method to copy DVD from Video_TS is using Finder. As we all know that "Finder" on Mac provides the ability of burning files to DVD if you already have a DVD buner on your computer. But not all the files burn to DVD can be playable by your DVD Player, except Video TS. So this is why we should rip DVD movies to video_TS first. All you need to do now is to insert the DVD you want to copy and right click the video TS folder converted from the original, then choose Burn to Disc to start the DVD burning process.
Option 2: Copy DVD ISO Image to DVD on Mac with Disk Utility
If you want to burn DVD from ISO image directly, you can use Disk Utility or Command Line. Note that the burning ISO feature is now missing from Disk Utility on El Capitan and later (and it's now available in Finder). As the feature no longer exists on OS X El Capitan and later, check your computer system before you copy protected DVD to DVD on Mac. For earlier versions, follow the guide below:
1. Insert a blank disc and launch Disk Utility.
2. From the File menu, choose Open Disk Image and select the ISO to be burned. You can see the ISO file from the list of volumes.
3. Click on "Burn" in the Disk Utility main window. Then it will start to burn and you will receive confirmation once the DVD is burned to DVD disc successfully.
If you have any problem, see how to fix Disk Utility won't copy DVD on Mac errors
Option 3: Copy DVD ISO Image to DVD on Mac with Command Line
Another method to copy protected DVD to DVD on Mac from ISO image is using the command line. This way applies to any Mac OS X, including macOS Big Sur. Note that you should make sure the command line is correct to avoid any failure. So this method is not suitable for novice or those who don't like technical stuff. Then you can copy protected DVD ISO image to blank disc as per the steps below:
- Launch the Terminal utility.
- Locate the ISO somewhere easy to locate like the desktop or user home folder.
- Insert a blank DVD or DVD-DL into the Mac.
- Type the following command hdiutil burn ~/Path/To/DiskImageFile.iso and it will start to burn ISO file to DVD on Mac automatically.
Protected DVD to DVD Copy FAQs
How do I copy a protected DVD on a Mac?
To copy a protected DVD on Mac computers, you need a DVD copy program with support for encrypted DVDs. MacX DVD Ripper Pro can rip copy-protected DVDs to MP4, MOV, AVI, ISO Image, Video TS folder (for backup or for later burning to DVDs) without third party help. All you need to do is to insert the DVD, choose output format, click Run, done!
Can Handbrake rip copy-protected DVDs?Handbrake can rip some copy-protected DVDs on Mac with libdvdcss installed on your computer. However, Handbrake fails to handle many protected DVDs, especially Disney DRM DVDs. Handbrake shows 99 titles, large output movie file or a few kbs, or can not recognize DVDs, or shows other errors when ripping protected DVDs on Mac.
Can MakeMKV rip copy-protected DVDs?
MakeMKV can rip protected DVDs to MKV on Mac if you have good luck. Most of the time, when dealing with copyright-protected DVDs, MakeMKV won't read/open DVDs, or displays playlist obfuscation/fake playlist (Lionsgate DVDs), to name a few errors.
Is it legal to copy protected DVD to DVD on Mac?
It depends on where you live. In the United States, UK, Canada, Australia, it's illegal to rip copy-protected DVDs on Mac for personal use even you buy them. But it will be OK if you copy-protected DVDs for backup or easier viewing though the law doesn't advocate users to do so. For more detailed information, please refer to "is it legal to rip DVDs".