What's the best way to copy my DVDs to my hard drive so that I can just click to open & play. I don't want to make DVD disk copies, I just want to get my library of DVD movies onto my hard drive in preparation for AppleTV. - Apple Discussion
It's disturbing if you have a lot of older DVDs sitting around in your house. Piles of DVD discs not only take up too much room space but also reject a flexible way of movie watching without a DVD drive. However, if you can take advantage of a DVD ripper, you can copy DVDs to Mac hard drive, external hard drive, and other storage media like NAS, SDD, USB flash drive, and even Cloud services. Here we'll show you how to copy DVD to hard drive on Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, and other Macs.
1. Copy DVD to Mac Hard Drive with MacX DVD Ripper [for Homemade and Copyrighted DVD]
It's quite simple for unprotected DVD conversion. But many movie or TV show DVDs you want to copy to Mac hard drive might be copy-protected by CSS, UOPs, region code, RCE, Sony ARccOS, or something else. In this case, you need a professional DVD ripper that can bypass these DVD copy protection schemes.
MacX DVD Ripper is a great program for the task. It is a tailor-made DVD ripping software for iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini, enabling you to copy and rip DVD to hard drive in almost original quality.
- 98% high quality with small size - Copy DVD to MP4, MOV, HEVC, H.264, M4V, MPEG4, etc. for a safe backup on Mac hard drive.
- 100% original quality - Copy DVD 1:1 to ISO image, MPEG2, and MKV for future burning.
- Support new DVD releases, multiple or 99 titles, foreign DVDs, homemade DVDs, oversized 75GB DVD, DVD with bad sector, DVD with playlist obfuscation, AV disc, scratched or unreadable DVDs.
- Fast ripping speed thanks to Hyper-threading, multi-core CPU and the unique Intel/Nvidia GPU acceleration tech.
Now we'll walk you through the steps of copying DVD to hard drive on Mac with MacX DVD Ripper Pro.
Step 1: Download the DVD Ripper & Load DVD.
To begin with, free download this Mac DVD ripper on your computer. It is fully compatible with all the latest macOS, including macOS Monterey and earlier. Then install it. Open it once the installation completes.
Another preparation work is to insert the DVD disc you want to copy to hard drive into DVD-ROM drive, whether it is an internal or external drive. Then, load your DVD by clicking the "DVD Disc" button on MacX DVD Ripper Pro.
Step 2: Choose Output Format
• For those who want to fast and losslessly save DVD discs to Mac's hard drive for storage, you can simply make a 1:1 copy of DVD to ISO image, or back up full title to MKV, MPEG2. Its high quality engine is enabled to automatically demux and remux the movie content with all/selected subtitles, video and audio tracks, without re-encoding.
• For those who want to copy DVD to hard drive for later transferring to iPhone iPad TV or something, you can choose any widely used format like MP4 and MOV. MP4 H.264 is highly recommended for the best compatibility with mobile devices and storage media.
Step 3: Select the Output Folder
Click the "Browse" button to choose the path where you want to save the output files in.
Step 4: Begin Copying DVD to Hard Drive on Mac
Click on the "RUN" button, and this DVD ripper's encoding engine goes into action. The whole DVD ripping process is fast, courtesy of its unique full GPU acceleration.
When we copy DVD THOR (duration: 1:54:50) to MKV format, less than 10 mins are taken. And if your computer hardware configuration gets the top level, almost 5-10 mins are enough to accomplish the whole DVD ripping procedure.
After ripping DVD to hard drive on your Mac, you're also able to transfer DVD to iPhone iPad iPod for on-the-go watching under the help of the great DVD to iPhone transfer tool MacX MediaTrans.
2. Copy DVD to Hard Drive with Mac's Disk Utility [for Unprotected Home Movie DVD]
Disk Utility is a very useful tool built-in Mac OS X and macOS systems. It can perform many tasks related to hard disks and storage devices, including the creation of disk images. So you can simply use Mac's Disk Utility to convert DVD to an image file for later storing on the hard drive.
Now let's show you how to copy DVD to hard drive with Disk Utility on Mac. First, make sure the hard drive on your Mac has at least 4GB to store a DVD copy as Disk Utility can only copy DVD to ISO Image, which is quite large in size.
Step 1. Insert target DVD into your Mac's built-in DVD-ROM drive or an external one.
Step 2. Launch Disk Utility. Where is Disk Utility? Simply open a Finder window, click on Applications in the left window, scroll down and click on the Utilities folder, and then you'll find Disk Utility.
Step 3. Click your DVD which should appear in the left panel of Disk Utility.
Step 4. Click the File menu, select New Image, and choose Image from "DVD name".
Step 5. From the pop-up window, you should specify the file name, save path (choose a folder on your hard drive), format (which you should choose DVD/CD master), and Encryption (which you should set to None). Then click Save. Now Disk Utility will start creating an image file from your DVD. Once done, you'll see a confirmation message. The resulting image file will end with .CDR file extension.
Note: If you want to playback the DVD copies created using the Disk Utility, you may need to transcode the ISO Image files to video formats like MP4. You can do it with the free transcoder Handbrake, or directly copy the DVD to MP4 on hard drive using Method 1.
FAQ about DVD to Hard Drive
1. Can I directly copy the VOB, IFO, and BUP files from DVD to the Mac hard drive?
Yes, you can as long as the DVDs are un-encrypted/unprotected titles. But for protected DVDs, you can't simply copy the content because of DVD copyright protection.
2. Any other tools to copy DVD to Mac hard drive?
- MakeMKV - rip protected DVDs to Mac hard drive in MKV. High quality but large file size.
- Handbrake - rip DVDs on Mac hard drive in MKV, MP4, or WebM. It's able to deal with copy protections when libdvdcss is installed.
- iSuper DVD Ripper - rip home-made DVD to hard drive on Mac in MP4, AVI, WMV, etc. It doesn't spport protected discs.
- MacTheRipper - MTR V2.6.6 is a free choice to save DVD in VIDEO_TS folder on Mac hard drive. Macrovision and CSS protections are supported.
3. How to copy DVDs from Mac to external hard drive?
Once you rip the DVD into digital video, you may want to transfer the DVD video from Mac to an external hard drive, here is how to do it: Connect the external hard drive to your Mac > open the Finder app and select the DVD video > press Command-N to open a second Finder window and choose the external hard drive under the Devices >drag and drop DVD video from your Mac's Finder into the external hard drive.
4. Is it legal to copy DVD to hard drives?
We only advocates copying and ripping DVDs under the concept of Fair Use and does not encourage any illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted content. Please abide by the local DVD copyright law before doing it.
Click the download button below to download a Mac DVD ripper for ripping your DVD collection to hard drive.
If you have any problem on how to copy and rip DVD to internal/external hard drive on your macOS, just email us >>