Both Mac and Windows users are reporting Handbrake won't rip DVD or Handbrake failed to skip bad sector after they upgrade their OS to macOS El Capitan or later (incl. Monterey) or Windows 10/11. The primary reason is the libdvdcss that Handbrake uses to rip encrypted DVDs.
This article is about how to download and install Handbrake libdvdcss on Mac and Windows, how to fix Handbrake libdvdcss errors like Handbrake libdvdcss 64-bit windows error, Handbrake libdvdcss not working on macOS Monterey, and how to rip encrypted DVDs with Handbrake libdvdcss.
Free Download Handbrake Libdvdcss Alternative
Rip encrypted DVDs without Handbrake libdvdcss errors like no valid source or titles found, freezes, incomplete DVD rips, etc. Free download the Handbrake libdvdcss alternative MacX DVD Ripper Pro to rip encrypted DVDs easily:
- Decrypt copy-protected DVDs without any third-party software and choose the right title from dozens of fake ones;
- Rip (Disney, Sony, Marvel, Pixar, Lionsgate) DVD, bad sector/region 2 DVD, 99-title/oversized DVD, workout DVD to MP4, HEVC, MOV, VOB, AVI, MKV, MPEG, iPhone iPad, Andorid, Chromecast, Plex, Roku, NAS, USB, PS5/4, Xbox...
- 1:1 Backup DVD with main/full title to single MPEG-2 file; copy DVD to ISO image.
- 5x faster than Handbrake with GPU (Intel/Nvidia/AMD) hardware acceleration tech.
Notice: We only advocates copying and ripping DVDs under the concept of Fair Use and does not encourage any illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted content. Please abide by the local DVD copyright law before doing it.
Part 1: Install Handbrake Libdvdcss 64-Bit on Windows (10/11)
If you upgrade your windows from previous 32 bit to 64 bit, the 32 bit VLC will no longer work. And the "library" file, libdvdcss in VLC, that allows Handbrake to rip protected DVDs cannot be used. To solve this Handbrake error libdvdcss, download the latest version of VLC in 64 bit.
Handbrake could not find VLC or your VLC is incompatible (Note: 32 bit vlc is not compatible with 64 bit HandBrake and vice-versa). If you see this error message, it is because VLC 2.x changes the code library libdvdcss Handbrake uses for decrypting.
The solution is also simple: manually download the Handbrake libdvdcss.dll. The detailed guide on how to download libdvdcss for Handbrake 64 bit on Windows is as follows:
Steps for a Successful Handbrake Libdvdcss Installation on Windows (10/11)
- Download and install the latest version (1.4.1) of HandBrake x64 64 bit from https://handbrake.fr/ (uninstall and reinstall Handbrake is necessary based on your computer).
- Free download libdvdcss-2.dll for Handbrake (64 bit) on Windows (11/10):
http://download.videolan.org/libdvdcss/1.2.11/win64/libdvdcss-2.dll (64 bit version).
- DO NOT rename the file and leave the filename as libdvdcss-2.dll, or it won't work, then copy the libdvdcss to Handbrake folder (C:\Program Files\Handbrake).
- Now you can follow Handbrake tutorial to rip encrypted DVDs with latest Handbrake 64 bit libdvdcss on Windows.
Note: to download and install the latest HandBrake 1.4.1 on your Windows PC, you're required to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 and download & install Microsoft .NET 5 Desktop Runtime on PC. Or HandBrake won't open or run on your PC.
Is libdvdcss legal to install? Libdvdcss as a way to decrypt DVD is authorized by a French law decision CE 10e et 9e soussect., 16 juillet 2008, n° 301843 on interoperability. Whether it is legal in the USA or other countries, you need to check out their copyright laws.
Part 2: How to Download/Install Handbrake Libdvdcss on Mac without Error
To avoid legal issue, Handbrake deliberately removes the installation of libdvdcss. So downloading the library is a little bit complicated. Here are the steps.
2.1 To fix the libdvdcss problem, get Homebrew downloaded on Mac. It has you got access to hundreds of open source packages that Apple didn't> Here are the steps:
- Start Terminal
- Type in /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
- Hit Return and enter your Password.
- Wait for starting download and finishing the installer.
Then you can install libdvdcss on Mac now.
- Start Terminal.
- Enter brew install libdvdcss and hit Enter
Note: Handbrake libdvdcss.dll won't work on Mac after upgraded to El Capitan/Monterey. This is mainly caused by El Capitan's new security system, "System Integrity Protection" SIP. The SIP in El Capitan/macOS Monterey removes some apps, including Handbrake libdvdcss pkg (used to decrpyt protections on DVDs). Here are the steps to install Handbrake Libdvdcss on Mac El Capitan/Monterey without errors.
2.2 To fix libdvdcss handbrake El Capitan (Monterey) issue, get Handbrake libdvdcss downloaded on Mac:
1. Download and install Handbrake libdvdcss.pkg on Mac El Capitan/Monterey at
2. run this command in a Terminal window:
sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/
sudo cp ~/Downloads/libdvdcss_1.4.0/libdvdcss.2.dylib /usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib
2.3 A user on Reddit named Hvyboots shares a solution on how to solve this Handbrake libdvdcss error by installing a copy of Handbrake libdvdcss.dll on Mac.
- Create a new Finder window.
- Type cmd+shift+G, and paste in this path: /Library/SystemMigration/History/. Then go to Migration-some-gibberish/QuarantineRoot/usr.
- Find and copy libdvdcss.2.dylib file.
- Use cmd-shift-G to /usr/local/lib
- Drag and drop the libdvdcss.2.dylib file into the /usr/local/lib folder to finish the libdvdcss installation on Mac.
Note: the latest version of Handbrake 1.4.1 is unavailable for Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan or older OS. Upgrade to macOS 10.12 or higher before you update Hanbrake to 1.4.1 version. Or stay with your current Handbrake version if operating system upgrade is not in your plan. Check the detailed improvements of HB 1.4.1 here.
Can't Rip Protected DVD from Disney, Paramount with Handbrake Libdvdcss
Reasons 1: Handbrake version after 0.9.2 itself won't rip protected DVDs. It needs libdvdcss downloaded and installed to treat copy protections properly. When your Handbrake libdvdcss stops working, you will have various problems when copying protected dvds. For example, Handbrake can't read the disc at all, keep crashing or repeat the first few minutes.
Reason 2: the latest Handbrake version still has trouble to handle tougher copy protection like 99 titles in DVDs protected by X-project protection (from Disney, Pixar, Paramount, Sony etc), even though libdvdcss installed. This is because the libdvdcss is only meant to rip DVDs encrypted with CSS or remove different regions. For DVDs encoded with other types of copy protection such as Disney protection, Sony ARccOS, etc, Handbrake libdvdcss is willing to but powerless to handle them.
Tips: A workaround to rip Disney 99-title DVD with Handbrake is to play the DVD in VLC first and remember the main title of the actual movie. Then tell Handbrake the right title. To rip protected titles, you will need a free Mac DVD ripper that supports protections.
Part 3: Solve All Handbrake Libdvdcss.dll Not Working Problems
Now problems with libdvdcss Handbrake on Mac or Windows can be solved as above. For users who are tired of figuring out how to fix handbrake 64 bit libdvdcss on Windows, how to download handbrake libdvdcss pkg on Mac, or want to rip DVDs protected by Sony ARccOS, Disney X-project, etc, an once-for-all solution is recommended: Handbrake alternative.
For example, MacX DVD Ripper Pro, free users from any Handbrake error libdvdcss, steer away any protection measures, and extends the preset profiles to 420+:
1. Rip any DVD to MP4, H.264, HEVC, MOV, M4V, FLV, MPEG4, AVI, QT, MP3 and iPhone 13/12/11/Pro (Max), iPad, Android, PS5/4, Xbox One, Plex server, Roku, NAS and 420+ popular devices.
2. Built in DVD decrypter to bypass DVD CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney X-project protections to rip new movie DVD releases.
3. Work seamlessly on Mac (macOS Monterey) and Windows (10/11). Rip DVDs at 5x faster speed than Handbrake by using GPU acceleration techs (Intel/Nvidia/AMD) with original output quality.