HandBrake is a popular program used to rip DVDs and convert movies. However, it doesn't always work properly. One of the most common error is: HandBrake doesn't convert whole movie! Sometimes it says the converting is finished, but Handbrake actually encodes half movie, or worse, seconds only; sometimes Handbrake stops encoding after few seconds...
I'm having issues where HandBrake is only encoding a part of a file (Windows 10 64-bit). For example, I have a movie with a running time of 164 minutes. Instead of encoding the entire movie DVD, Handbrake only encoded about half of it (67 minutes). I tried another movie but still Handbrake only rips the first chapter. - VideoHelp Forum
HandBrake v1.4.0 crashed on Ice Age Collision Course. Loading playlist and HandBrake doesn't convert the entire movie, it crashes a few seconds after starting. I'm running Monterey. - Handbrake forum
Today we will look into the reasons that prevent Handbrake to rip DVD movie in full length and gather all the useful tips.
100% Working Workaround when Handbrake won't Rip Entire DVDs
Handbrake stops early and won't rip entire DVD mainly because of the DVD protections, overloaded CPU, or scratched DVD. It can be easily fixed with MacX DVD Ripper Pro
This DVD ripper can solve all Handbrake not ripping full DVD problems with support to CSS, Region Code 1-6, UOPs, CPRM, Sony ARccOS, Disney X-project, any protections; GPU (Intel/Nvidia/AMD) hardware accelerated encoding; old & damaged DVD s. Rip copy protected DVDs to MP4, HEVC, AVI, MOV, WMV, MKV, and 1:1 backup DVD on Mac and Win, no errors.
All Possbile Causes & Solutions for HandBrake Won't Rip Entire DVD Movie
When you rip DVD with Handbrake, you should first note that Handbrake supports non-protected disc only. With commercial DVDs, you may experience various error. Even with VLC installed, there are still problems like "the title selected and Handbrake shows 0.01% and immediately says encoding complete, and the resulting file is nothing". In most cases, Handbrake not ripping DVD movie in full is caused by encryptions, but other factors also exist. Check below:
I. HandBrake Doesn't Convert Entire Movie DVD with Copy Protections
Encryptions are the causes for most Handbrake stop encoding DVD movie problems as Handbrake itself support non-protected discs. Fortunately, there are ways to rip DVDs freely.
1. DLL is missing/corrupted or not properly named. Download the libdvdcss-2.dll file to the HandBrake installation folder and rename the file to libdvdcss.dll. Then restart HandBrake. Note that you should download the right version DLL file (64bit/32bit) for the corresponding Handbrake version.
2. Identify the right DVD title to rip. Play the DVD movie with a DVD player to find the right movie title. Then tell Handbrake the exact movie title. This is simple to solve "Handbrake only converts few seconds or incomplete DVD rip with the last 20 mins out of the movie" with 99-title protections. But it's not convenient if you have an enormous collection.
3. Use MakeMKV output file as the input for Handbrake. MakeMKV is another neat freeware that supports various protections. You can use MakeMKV to convert encrypted DVDs to MKV and transcode the big MKV output file to smaller MKV or MP4 file with Handbrake.
4. Switch to a reliable Handbrake alternative. The solution to HandBrake won't rip entire DVD movie with least effort: switch to another DVD movie ripper. Here we recommend MacX DVD Ripper Pro, which can copy protected DVD, and auto select the right title to rip DVD with massive output formats (MP4, MKV, MOV, ISO image, AVI, HEVC...) and device profiles with complete DVD length.
II. HandBrake Stops Encoding After Few Seconds due to Overloaded CPU
Sometimes Handbrake only rips a few seconds and stop encoding due to heavy stress on CPU. With a CPU utilization from 99% to 180% +, your computer overheats and Handbrake crashes during the ripping. In this case, check and try to fix Handbrake errors as below.
- Clock the CPU down to the standard to see if the problem is solved.
- Check the heat sink on the central processing unit.
- Check the other PC configurations like available RAM, AMD graphics chip, cooling fan, etc.
- There may be a lot of dust in the heat sink/fan. Blow it out with compressed air.
III. Unsupported Subtitles Lead to Handbrake Not Ripping Full Movie DVD
When HandBrake doesn't convert whole movie, there is a little silent killer that many users may ignore: subtitles. If you suspect Handbrake subtitles option may be the cause, you can:
- Turn off subtitles options on Handbrake.
- Try to rip the subtitles using "Subtitle edit" option, name the .srt file to the name of the movie and put the subtitle file and movie in the same folder.
IV. Check if the DVD is Corrupt or Damaged
"I noticed that if some of my DVDs are scratched on the surface of the movie side of the DVD Handbrake chokes and does not want to continue the process." If Handbrake won't rip full movie DVD and stops encoding at the same place, consider if the DVD disc, or IFO file is corrupt or damaged.
- Try with several other DVDs.
- Take care of the DVD discs and put them back into the cases after you watch them
- Copy damaged DVDs with other tools.
V. Check the DVD Drive
In some cases, Handbrake stops early because it fails to read the DVD due to a hardware problem with the disc drive of the computer. This is true especially when Handbrake rips a few seconds and stops. Try to rip the DVD movie using Handbrake on another computer or with another drive. Also, check if you have enough space on your hard drive to store the ripped movie video.
If you have any peripheral devices, like the USB drives, connected to your computer, disconnect all of them.
VI. A Bad Microsoft.NET Framework File
Some Windows uesrs reported that they had the "Handbrake stops earily ripping a DVD movie" error as the Microsoft.NET Framework file wouldn't start. Then you need to uninstall and reinstall the .net file.
VII. Solve HandBrake Incomplete DVD Rip Error with the Best Alternative
After you have tried all the above tips, if the "Handbrake not ripping full movie" or "Handbrake DVD ripping remains incomplete" problem still exists, try another Handbrake alternative to get rid of the headache. For you, MacX DVD Ripper Pro is recommended:
- It supports and keeps updating with all the DVD encryptions, like DVD CSS, region code, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs, Disney X-project protection, etc. Thus, no matter you insert it with UDF DVD, commercial Hollywood DVDs, workout DVD, 99-title DVD, AV DVD, damaged/unplayable DVD or homemade DVD, it can auto detect them, select the right title and finish the complete DVD rips.
- The DVD ripper for Mac/Win converts full DVD movie to MP4, AVI, MOV, FLV, MKV, VOB, ISO image, MPEG-2 other popular formats, or iPhone, iPad, Android, PS4/5, Xbox and more.
- With the advanced GPU (Intel/Nvidia/AMD) hardware acceleration supported, it handles over the resource-intensive DVD ripping task from CPU to GPU, which would exceedingly save your ripping time, only 5 mins needed if your hardware configuration is excellent enough.
- Rip DVD movies with subtitles soft/forced subtitles or add .srt subtitles to DVDs while ripping.
HandBrake Doesn't Convert Whole Movie Video Files
HandBrake owns the ability to both rip DVDs and convert movie files. More often, users may encounter with Handbrake 1.0.0 won't rip entire DVD movie like stops at xx% or first chapter, or HandBrake 1.0.7 crashes at the beginning. Sometimes, there are also cases where HandBrake stops encoding when it comes to digital file conversion. "I try to encode an mkv from a DVD (ripped from MakeMKV) to mp4 with HandBrake but it will just jump to 'completed' leaving a half complete output file that will not run." Below we also gather the most common errors and possible troubleshooting fixes.
I. Handbrake Won't Convert Entire Movie due to 4GB Problem
"I have a long raw movie clip I recorded in Fraps and need to compress as it's 130GB. After about 2 hours of encoding with Handbrake, I had my finished .mp4 file that was 180MB. However when I opened it, it was 0.00 seconds, not the full movie video."
• This problem happens more when you're ripping Blu-ray discs or converting HD transcodings (.m2ts), 4K recordings, or HD TV high def recordings. The solution is simple: if your videos will go over 4GB, remember to check the Large File Size box.
II. HandBrake Not Encoding Full Length of Movie from Pirated Sources
Some users tend to download movies from online sites (as they always in large-size MKV or AVI) and convert video with Handbrake. However, it seems that Handbrake does not provide supports for any corrupt pirated movies.
- Do not download movies from unsafe sites.
- Try other Handbrake alternative converters like MacX Video Converter Pro, which will convert movies in any formats to most digital files or mobile devices, compress the movie size, download movies from safe sources and more.
III. Try the nightly builds.
If you're one of the experienced users, you can download and try other Handbrake versions, as well as HandBrake's nightly builds. The Nightly builds are based on the latest development code, and they are not stable. However, sometimes the Nightly builds will solve the problem out.
IV. Try to lower the resolution of the encoding OR lower the constant quality.
According to some users' feedbacks, decreasing the resolution and quality sometimes will get Handbrake work. You can give it a shot.