There will be an embarrassing situation when people try to rip Lionsgate DVD such as Knives Out, Oscar movie Manchester By the Sea, The Trust or I Am Wrath after they've got these new releases. Symptoms in these DVD ripper software can be summarized as below:
- There are as many as playlists, and AnyDVD ripper lists duplicate or wrong playlist in speed menu.
- Some software cannot load disc at all due to the message "Damaged DVD".
- DVDShrink gets an error message: "failed to read drive."
- The movie is played in wrong order.
- Pirate copy warning messages like "illegal copy" appear during playback.
- Movie starts but goes black.
If you are one of them who cannot rip DVDs from Lionsgate , this article is helpful, which centers on reasons and solutions in these copy protected Lionsgate DVD ripping for your personal use.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Why You Cannot Copy/Rip Lionsgate DVD - Possible Reasons
Tech geeks know that the failure to rip copy protected DVD from Lionsgate can attribute to the copy protection and may take it for granted that many DVD ripper can handle this copy protection measure. But unlike other discs applying CSS or Region Code, DVDs from Lionsgate are constructed totally different from these standard discs and institute a new copy protection scheme, called Playlist Obfuscation.
The DVD copy protection is the common name for Screenpass, which requires runtime java to decode the playlists and shows multiple playlists on the disc but redirects to a false one preventing playback. It targets at the DVD rippers that automatically select the longest playlist but hides the correct playlist sequence playback order in such as way to incapacitate some DVD converter software like Handbrake and MakeMKV, thus leading to DVD rip errors and making movie unwatchable.
Part 2: How to Fix Lionsgate Copy Protected DVD Ripping Errors
If you've tried several DVD rippers on your Mac or PC such as MakeMKV, AnyDVD, DVDShrink, Handbrake, etc to make backup of Lionsgate DVD but end with DVD loading, data reading, playlist choosing errors, you can switch to one of the most popular DVD ripper, MacX DVD Ripper Pro (Windows version), a respectable fast DVD ripper that incorporates both DVD decrypter, DVD ripper and DVD copier in hand.
The decent DVD ripper for Mac and Windows features:
- Unique DVD analysis tech to support all DVD copy protections, e.g. Playlist Obfuscation, CSS, Region Code, Sony ARccOS, Disney X-project protection, Cinavia, etc.
- Rip protected DVD to MP4, AVI, WMV, MOV, H264, MPEG4, MKV, MP3, etc and convert DVD to the mainstream devices, incl. iPhone 11, iPad Pro, Samsung Galaxy S10, with 420+ ready-made profiles built in.
- 4 DVD copy modes to 1:1 clone DVD to iSO image for burning, copy main title/full title movie to MPEG2, backup DVD to MKV with all video audio subtitle tracks reserved. 5 minutes only to copy a protected DVD!
- Intel/NVIDIA hardware acceleration, multi-core CPU, Hyper-threading tech, and High Quality engine ensure world's fastest speed, up to 3-5x faster, and lossless quality.
- It is seamlessly compatible with the latest OS, including Windows 10 and macOS Big Sur.
Now let's get started to rip Lionsgate protected DVDs with MacX DVD Ripper Pro.
Step 1: Free download, install and run the Lionsgate DVD ripper on Windows or Mac version. The latest version supports more newly released DVDs, including Knives Out.
Step 2: Insert the DVD into your disc drive and click the "DVD Disc" to load the data. DVD Folder or ISO image is also supported. This tool will automatically choose the right title or playlist for you, even if there are fake or obfuscated titles.
Step 3: After the disc loading, there pop-up a window where you can choose the output format at your wish. The output options range from DVD to iTunes, iMovie, MP4, MOV to iPhone, iPad, Samsung, HTC, Chromecast, PS4, and more.
Step 4: Choose the output folder to save the movie file and then start Lionsgate DVD ripping after you click RUN button.
Part 3: Top 10 Chart of Lionsgate DVDs over Decades
|NO||Movie Name||Starring||Directed By||Runtime|
|1||The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2||Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, et||Francis Lawrence||2 hrs 16 mins|
|2||Hacksaw Ridge||Andrew Garfield, Sam Worthington, et||Mel Gibson||2 hrs 19 mins|
|3||Manchester By the Sea||Casey Affleck, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler||Kenneth Lonergan||2 hrs 17 min|
|4||I Am Wrath||John Travolta, Christopher Meloni, Amanda Schull||Chuck Russell||1 hr 32 min|
|5||Now You See Me 2||Morgan Freeman, Jesse Eisenberg||Jon M. Chu||2 hrs 9 min|
|6||Shaun The Sheep - The Movie||Justin Fletcher, Justin Fletcher, et||Justin Fletcher, Justin Fletcher, et||1 hr 25 min|
|7||The Trust||Nicolas Cage, Elijah Wood, Sky Ferreira||Alex Brewer, Benjamin Brewer||1 hr 32 min|
|8||La La Land||Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Rosemarie DeWitt||Damien Chazelle||2 hrs 8 min|
|9||The Last Witch Hunter||Vin Diesel, Rose Leslie, Elijah Wood||Breck Eisner||1 hr 46 min|
|10||The Expendables 3||Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li||Patrick Hughes||2 hrs 6 mins|