With the popularity of HD and 4K videos and the arrival of 8K videos, the demand for reducing video file size is growing rapidly. We certainly love high quality, but sometimes we have to compress video, especialy when we need to share large videos via email or internet, and save storage space on computer or phone. So in this article we'll share the 3 best Mac video compression software to reduce MP4 HD/4K/8K and other videos on Mac quickly and easily.
1. MacX Video Converter Pro
If you prefer one 100% safe yet professional video compression software, then MacX Video Converter Pro can be the exact one. It is specially designed for Mac users to reduce videos with large size, for example, HD 720P, 1080P, 4K, 5K or even 8K videos.
- Supporting more than 370 codec formats, it can compress any video formats including MP4, MOV, MKV, AV1, HEVC, H.264, XAVC, etc.
- Reduce video size by changing encoding format, resolution, bit rate, trimming off unwanted footage, cropping black bars, etc.
- Equipped with level-3 hardware acceleration, it finishes video compression at super fast speed. 5X faster than similar programs.
- High compression ratio. And it can reduce video file size without quality loss if you make proper settings.
- Convert video. Edit video. Download videos online. Record screen/webcam.
We once compressed an 8GB MKV video (1920x1080) with duration of 2h23min to MP4 format. The whole video shrinking process costs 23min53s and produces the output MP4 video (1920x1080) with 2.72GB in size. This Mac compression software reduces MKV video size 56% off. The whole video compression process is on a 27-inch iMac (2011 Middle) with OS X Yosemite operating system, powered by 2.7GHz Intel Core i5.
How to compress a video on Mac with MacX Video Converter Pro
Free download MacX Video Converter to your Mac firstly, and then follow us and check the simple steps to compress a video on Mac without losing quality.
Step 1. Launch MacX Video Converter Pro and click + video button to load the video files you want to downsize.
Step 2. Choose an output format. You can choose a profile with HEVC which format provides high compression rate.
If you're compressing a large video file to mobiles, here are 420+ readymade profiles for mobiles, which means you can compress video to iPhone iPad Android with small file size and high quality in one click.
If you compress video for uploading to YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Vimeo, Metacafe, Myspace, other websites, or need to reduce video for e-mail, you're suggested to go to Web Video Profile column, here ready streaming video formats like FLV, 3GP, WMV, etc are available. These formats are specially set for uploading video to website barely with the samllest size yet the highest possible quality.
Tips: You can ddjust the slidebar of LQ-HQ or click "Use High Quality Engine" in the advanced setting area to improve your compressed video quality.
Step 3. Click the icon to adjust the video parameters, like Resolution and Bit Rate to make your file smaller. Generally, frame rate and frame size don't much affect the file size.
You can adjust or lower the video resolution (such as downscale 4K to 1080P, 1080P to 720P), and lower the video/audio bit rate by 20-50% compared with its default one. Normally, the smaller video you want, the lower bit rate.
Step 4. Click the icon to edit the video where it is allowed to crop the black bars, remove commercials from video/movie and freely set up the Start Time/End time to get favorite clips, in such a way the video file will be downsized with nary a quality loss (no video conversion involved).
Step 5. Click the "Browse" button to choose the destination folder and press "RUN" button to start to compress video files without losing quality.
HandBrake is a versatile tool. It can rip DVD, Blu-ray, convert video, and compress videos on Mac, Windows, and Linux. And it is 100% free and clean.
- Support importing a wide range of video formats.
- Compress video by lowering video resolution, bit rate, etc.
- Provide a lot of advanced features. It's great for tech-savvy users, but may be overwhelming for novices.
- Support adding multiple files to queue for batch conversion.
- Output formats are MP4 and MKV.
How to compress video on Mac with HandBrake
Step 1. Launch HandBrake and click Open Source button to import the video you want to shrink.
Step 2. Choose a preset based on your own needs.
Step 3. You can also change video resolution, bit rate, quality, etc.
Step 4. Specify output file name and destination folder to store the compressed file.
Step 5. Hit Start button to begin reducing video file size.
If you don't want to download a desktop-based video compressor on Mac, you can simply use an online video compressor, just like Clipchamp. When an internet connection is available, simply open a browser on your Mac, get access to Clipchamp utility, and then you can import a video for compressing.
- Reduce MP4, AVI, MOV, WebM, and more video formats.
- Support batch processing.
- Provide presets for web (Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo), Windows, and Mobile.
- Allow you to choose desired resolution (240p, 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, and 4K) and quality.
- Available output formats include MP4, WebM, and FLV.
How to compress video with ClipChamp on Mac?
Step 1. Open a web browser on your Mac computer, and access Clipchamp online video compressor.
Step 2. Drag target video into the dotted box.
Step 3. Choose what you want to optimize for, web, Windows, Mobile, or Animation. You can also hit Customize settings to specify resolution, format, and quality.
Step 4. Hit Start to begin processing your video.