Want to convert DVD to MP4 on Mac for free for later playback to iPhone, iPad, Android, Apple TV, other portable devices or players? Congratulations, you're in the right place where you can find the best free DVD to MP4 converters for macOS Ventura and earlier.
Now, let's check the specific details of these Mac DVD rippers on aspects of ripping function, output quality, ripping speed, DVD decryption capability, etc., with a desire to help you single out the most suitable tool.
MacX DVD Ripper Free
MacX DVD Ripper Free is the best free DVD to MP4 converter for Mac on the market. It can free convert DVDs to MP4 (H.265, H.264), MOV, M4V, MKV, Apple TV, iTunes, MP3, ACC, and more for free movie playback on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV 4K, iMovie, QuickTime, Android, Plex, etc.
If you're looking for a DVD to MP4 converter for Windows, click here.
- All copy protections supported, including 99-title DVD, bad sector DVD, region code DVD, fake playlist DVD, scratched DVD, workout DVD, Japanese DVD....
- High DVD to MP4 quality - Its unique algorithm, De-interlacing tech and High Quality Engine ensure 98% original quality. Almost no visual quality loss after converting the DVD to MP4 video. Even some physically damaged unplayable DVDs can regain the crisp image thanks to the auto repair tech.
- 5X faster DVD to MP4 converting speed - Support Intel/Nvidia/AMD GPU hardware acceleration to speed up the DVD to MP4 ripping to 5x faster than others, avoid 90% CPU use, overheating, software half crash issues.
- Flexible options to 1:1 copy DVD main title/full title, choose soft/forced subtitles, add external subtitles to DVD, trim/cut off clips, remove unwanted black borders, rip soundtracks from DVD, etc.
How to Free Rip DVD to MP4 on Mac
The tutorial below will show you how easy it is to free convert DVD to MP4 on Mac with MacX DVD Ripper Free.
- Download MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free. It is fully compatible with macOS Ventura and earlier. Then install it on your Mac computer.
- Insert the source DVD into your computer's DVD-ROM drive. If there's no built-in drive, connect an external drive.
Step 1. Run it, and click "DVD Disc" to import the DVD you just insert. It will access the correct title of the DVD, regardless of any copy protections on it.
Step 2. Choose "MP4 Video" from Mac General Video as Output format. You can freely convert the DVD to MP4 with codec H.265, MPEG4, or H.264.
Step 3. Click "Browse" button in the output setting area and select a destination folder to save your converted MP4 video.
Step 4. Click "RUN" to start the DVD to MP4 conversion. You can view the conversion progress and are able to cancel the converting process at any time.
Here is a video tutorial to guide you through DVD to MP4 ripping on a Mac. Click and learn how to step-by-step rip a physical DVD to MP4 and other formats with high quality.
Notice: We only advocate copying and ripping DVDs under the concept of Fair Use and does not encourage any illegal reproduction or distribution of copyrighted content. Please abide by the local DVD copyright law before doing it.
- Compatibility: macOS 10.13 or later, Windows, Linux
- Input: Unencrypted DVDs, Blu-ray discs, ISO image, Video_TS folder, video files
- Output: MP4, MKV, and Webm (H.265, H.264, H.265 MPEG-4, MPEG-2, VP8 and Theora)
- Latest version: 1.5.1 released in Jan 10, 2022
Handbrake is a free open source DVD to MP4 ripper for Mac, Windows, and Linux. It can free rip DVD to MP4, MKV, and WebM, with the ready-made profiles for Android, Apple, Roku, etc. It includes AMD VCE, Intel QSV, NVIDIA NVENC hardware H.264/H.265 encoders to deliver a fast DVD to MP4 converting speed on Mac. Moreover, there is a slew of filters available to customize the output MP4 video.
Note: Handbrake doesn't support protected DVDs on its own. If you plan to rip encrypted DVDs to MP4 using Handbrake, you have to download and install libdvdcss to partner with it. Otherwise, you will encounter errors, such as no valid title found. HandBrake itself is unable to deal with copy-protected DVDs.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac Free with HandBrake
Step 1. Download and install HandBrake on your Mac. The latest HandBrake V1.5.1 is compatible with macOS 10.13 and later. For M1/M2 Macs, you should at least have Handbrake 1.4.0. To convert protected DVDs to MP4 using Handbrake, make sure you've installed libdvdcss on your computer for Handbrake to use. Learn how to download libdvdcss on Mac here >>
Step 2. Open Handbrake and click the Open Source button to load the source DVD. It will take some time to read the DVD data and find the correct titles.
Step 3. Once the DVD is loaded, open the Title dropdown menu and select a movie title you want to rip.
Step 4. Under Destination, specify a file name and a save path for the converted MP4 file.
Step 5. Click Preset and you will see Very Fast, Fast, HQ, and Super HQ. To free convert a DVD to MP4, you're suggested to choose either 480p or 576p based on the NTSC or PAL DVD. Don't select any higher resolutions as they won't do anything good to the output quality.
Step 6. Next, choose MP4 as the output format. In the section below you can further adjust the video codec, quality, crop, rotate, add filters, etc. Click Start on the toolbar to begin converting DVD to MP4.
Handbrake has many settings which may be confusing for beginners. Below are the recommended Handbrake DVD to MP4 ripping settings on Mac. For a more detailed guide & tips, check "How to Convert DVD to MP4 with Handbrake".
For high-quality DVD to MP4 ripping:
- Super HQ 480p30 Surround – Framerate: 30fps; Constant Quality: 16; Encoder Preset: Very Slow; Encoder Level: 3.1
- Super HQ 576p25 Surround – Framerate: 25fps; Constant Quality: 16; Encoder Preset: Very Slow; Encoder Level: 3.1
For fast DVD to MP4 ripping:
- Very Fast 480p30 Surround – Framerate: 30fps; Constant Quality: 20-22; Encoder Preset: Very fast/Superfast; Encoder Profile: Main; Encoder Level: 3.1
- Very Fast 576p25 Surround – Framerate: 25fps; Constant Quality: 20-22; Encoder Preset: Very fast/Superfast; Encoder Profile: Main; Encoder Level: 3.1
iSuper DVD Ripper
- Compatibility: macOS 10.7 or later
- Input: Unencrypted DVDs
- Output: MP4, M4V, MOV, MKV, AVI, WMV, etc.
- Latest version: 6.3.9 released in September 29, 2021
iSuper DVD Ripper is the best free DVD to MP4 ripper on the Mac Store. Besides MP4, it can also rip DVD to MOV, MKV, FLV, M4V, AAC, MP3, and more video/audio formats. And there are some basic video editing features. It can merge multiple videos into one, cut videos, add text or image watermark, and adjust brightness, saturation, hue, and contrast.
Note: It's extremely easy to use for converting DVDs to mp4 on macOS. The recent updates V6.2.25 and V6.2.23 have improved both the speed and stability when ripping DVD to MP4. However, just like other DVD rippers in the Mac Store, iSuper DVD Ripper isn't available to rip encrypted DVDs to MP4.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 with iSuper DVD Ripper
Step 1. Download iSuper DVD Ripper from Mac Store and install it on your computer.
Step 2. Run the free converter and insert your disc (non-protected). Click the Loading Disc button to import your DVD.
Step 3. Once the DVD is loaded, check the DVD title you'd like to convert. Then click the profile menu at the bottom and choose the MP4 profile.
Step 4. You can click the adjustments button on the main window to adjust the encoding parameters, rotate, crop, add watermarks, add effects, etc. Then click Browse to select a destination on Mac to store the converted MP4 video.
Step 5. Next, click Convert to begin ripping DVD to MP4 on Mac.
VLC Media Player
- Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later. It supports Macs with a 64-bit Intel processor or an Apple Silicon chip.
- Input: Unencrypted DVDs, ISO image, Video_TS folder, video files
- Output: MP4, MKV, MOV, AVI, WMV, and more
- Latest version: 3.0.17 released in April 19, 2022
VLC Media Player can do much more than play videos. One extra function is to free convert DVDs to MP4, WebM, MPEG4, AVI, TS, OGG, WMV, etc. There are some basic options to adjust the video bit rate, audio quality, audio channels. VLC is not the preferred free DVD to MP4 converter as users can't get much control over the output quality they want to get, but hopefully, it can help someone out in a pinch.
Note: VLC doesn't support DVD copy protections except CSS. But here is a workaround: as VLC has libdvdcss built-in, you can play the protected disc with VLC, remember the correct title, and tell VLC which title to rip when converting. But this method doesn't work with all protections.
How to Free Convert DVD to MP4 with VLC
Step 1. Download VLC if you haven't installed it on Mac, then insert the DVD you want to convert on your Mac. Open VLC Media Player, click on "File" at the top left corner of the Mac screen and select the " Open Disc…" button.
Step 2. Click the Disc button and you will see your DVD here. If you don't want to contain the DVD menus in the converted MP4 video, click Disable DVD menus. If the DVD is protected, you need to click Enable DVD menus and manually select the title and chapters.
Step 3. Next, check the Streaming box. Then click the Settings button to customize the DVD to MP4 conversion. Specifically, click Browse to set an output folder on your Mac to store the MP4 video; Go to the Encapsulation Method dropdown menu and select MP4 as the output format. Set the video/audio bitrate if necessary.
Step 4. After all the steps, click OK and VLC will start to convert DVD to MP4 on Mac. Still not clear, check our guide on how to rip DVD with VLC here for more detailed info here.
- Compatibility: macOS 10.9 or later, Windows, Linux
- Input: Unencrypted DVDs, ISO image, Video_TS folder, video files
- Output: MP4, QuickTime, 3GP, AVI, MKV, MPEG, etc.
- Latest version: 5.1 released in July 22, 2022
FFmpeg is a free DVD to MP4 converter for Mac. In fact, many video/DVD-related programs such as Handbrake, VLC, DVD Flick, Avidemux, XMedia Recode, etc. ship with a built-in version of FFmpeg to help them process multimedia files. With FFmpeg, you're allowed to convert a DVD freely to MP4, h.264/h.265, MPEG4, MOV, AVI, and more on Mac.
Note: As a command-line tool, using FFmpeg-GUI to convert DVDs to MP4 on Mac is quite daunting for many beginner users. More importantly, FFmpeg can't convert DVDs with copy protections.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac with FFmpeg
Step 1. Download FFmpeg and install it on Mac. This is the hardest part for many. The easiest way is to install FFmpeg on Mac using HomeBrew. First, install homebrew if you don't have it on your Mac by running the following command in the terminal:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
Then install FFmpeg through the ffmpeg formula:
brew install ffmpeg
Now FFmpeg is installed on your Mac. Let's continue to convert a DVD to MP4 with it:
Step 2. To rip a DVD with FFmpeg, you just need the *.VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder. Below is the command line to convert a DVD to an mpeg4+mp3 MP4 on Mac.
ffmpeg -i - -s 720x576 -c:v mpeg4 -c:a mp3 -qmin 1 -qmax 3 -b:a 256k -b:v 4000k -y encoded.mp4
Step 3. If there are several VOB files in the DVD and you'd like to convert them into a single MP4 video, you will need to combine them into one VOB first:
cat VTS_01_1.VOB VTS_01_2.VOB VTS_01_3.VOB VTS_01_4.VOB > temp.VOB
- Compatibility: x64 or ARM64 Mac OS X 10.7 or later, Windows, Linux
- Input: Protected DVDs and Blu-ray discs
- Output: MKV
- Latest version: v1.17.1 released in July 13, 2022
MakeMKV is not an exactly free DVD to MP4 converter for Mac as it only supports MKV as the output format. However, you can use MakeMKV and Handbrake together to rip protected DVDs into MP4 on Mac: convert a DVD to MKV first and then transcode it to MP4 with Handbrake. MakeMKV is very useful when you need to convert a protected DVD and Blu-ray discs.
Note: MakeMKV is fast and simple to use. As the output MKV is very large in size, make sure your hard drive on Mac has enough space. It requires an extra step to convert a protected DVD to MP4 on Mac using it.
How to Convert DVD to MP4 on Mac with MakeMKV
Step 1. Launch MakeMKV and insert the disc into the optical drive. Click the big optical drive button to read the DVD data. MakeMKV will take a few minutes to judge the copy protections and detect the titles.
Step 2. Once finished, MakeMKV will display the DVD chapters. Click the disclosure triangle next to the disc to exclude different parts of a disc such as the audio and subtitle tracks.
Step 3. Click the MakeMKV button, and wait for the app to create the file. Then use Handbrake to transcode the converted MKV video into MP4.
Verdict: All the tools mentioned above can rip DVD to MP4 on Mac for free. All have their own virtues and drawbacks. Handbrake is the most popular free choice to create MP4 videos from DVDs without copy protections. But if you wanna pursue a feature-packed DVD converter that can convert protected DVD to MP4 on Mac, no doubt MacX DVD Ripper Mac Free is more suitable.
If you're looking for a DVD to MP4 converter for Windows, click here.
1. How long does it take to rip a DVD to MP4?
The DVD to MP4 converting speed on Mac is influenced by a set of factors such as the DVD ripper, the MP4 quality, and the computer configuration, etc. On the same hardware conditions, you can select a DVD converter that supports GPU hardware acceleration to achieve a faster speed. Among the above free DVD to MP4 converters for Mac, the two programs supports hardware encoding:
- MacX DVD Ripper Free
2. How to convert a DVD on a Mac without disc drive?
An optical dirve and a big hard drive are the must for DVD ripping. If your Mac doesn't contain an internal disc drive, get an external DVD drive like Apple's USB SuperDrive. Here is a 2022 list of external disc drive for Mac >>
3. Any other DVDs to MP4 converters for Mac?
In addition to free DVD to MP4 rippers, there are many paid programs with more powerful performance.
- MacX DVD Ripper Pro - $29.95/3 months, protected DVDs supported
- DVDFab DVD Ripper - $39.95/month, protected DVDs supported
- iMyMac Video Converter - $9.95/month, homemade DVDs only
- Movavi Video Converter - $54.95/year, homemade DVDs only
4. Is it legal to convert DVDs to MP4?
The legality of ripping DVDs of your own depends on your region law. For example, in the US, it's illegal to rip a copy-protected DVD. But in Australia, Spain, and many other areas, users are allowed to copy a commercial DVD for personal use. Withi that being said, you won't be caught or sued for converting a protected DVD for private use. Unless you distribute the copies, no one will ever know.